The original script of DETENTION (dated 1993) is basically the same as the actual movie though there are some slight differences. Some character's names are changed: villains Vance and Jules became Viktor and Alek. Lamb is supposed to be a disgruntled ex-cop. Lamb and Gloria are not as close as they are in the movie. The student girl who has a crush on Sam Decker, Cheryl, is re-named Charlee Turkle.
- The opening scene set during the Bosnia war was not in the original script. It has probably been added to deliver a kick ass overture (in the script, we just know that Decker is a former military, and the cop Endorf isn't his former war partner as he is in the movie). The original script begins with the villains making a deal for weapons in an airport, and it follows with Sam waking up at his girlfirend's appartment. All the begining is longer in the original script than in the actual movie.
- The high school presentation is pretty much the same although they cut a few scenes from the script:
- When the man hunt begins in the school it' isn't Alek but Gloria who fires at Sam in the cafeteria. Also, Alicia really goes into labor to get her baby (in the script).
- Meanwhile, Cheryl (Charlee) tries to contact the state police via Hendorf's cop car, but Hendorf comes and strangles Cheryl.
- To get Margo come to him, Lamb disguises himself as a police officer.
- With Mick's help, Sam rescues Margo and, after a long chase throughout the building, Margo shoots Lamb dead on the roof. Linstrom arrives and helps whisk Alicia off to the hospital to give birth. The paramedics also manage to revive Cheryl.